How To Communicate
Rattling off some memorized points or speeches only gets us half way there. Communicating the brand requires that you think about how to communicate it as well.
How to Bring This To Life
When communicating, the following three things are a must: authenticity, consistency and "showing, not telling."
•Authenticity: It is vital that we communicate in a way that is both positive, aspirational and true to who we are and what we can deliver.
•Consistency: Only through demonstrating the same points repeatedly with a single voice can we truly begin to communicate effectively.
•Showing, Not Telling: What is more believable? "We are great," or "We have the top ranked nursing program in the state, a top 25 nationally ranked professor, and are nationally ranked for Return on Investment of tuition and high starting salary." The second statement shows that we are great. It is authentic, defined, provable and real. The first statement is no more than opinion. This requires real effort, but it is at the core of communicating.
Recent Accolades, Rankings and Ratings To Share:
- Top 50 In Nation In Awarding Financial Aid, BestColleges.com
- #1 College TV Station in South, Southeast Journalism Conference
- No. 2 College Radio Station in the South, Southeast Journalism Conference
- Top 60 Nationwide University for Return On Tuition Investment, Affordable Colleges Online
- Top 5 College TV News Program Nationally, Society for Professional Journalists
- Top Ranking in Louisiana of Universities with Online Degrees, affordablecollegesonline.com
- Top Ranked in Louisiana for Student Impact on Community, Purposeful Networks
- #1 Small Business Development Center Nationally, U.S. Small Business Association
- Top Ranking in Louisiana for Students with Lowest Debt, U.S. News and World Report
- Two Top 25 Professors Nationwide, RateMyProfessor.com
- Top 40 Under 40 Professor
- Military Friendly School, G.I. Jobs Magazine
- #2 Best Online Colleges in Louisiana in 2016, Accredited Schools Online
- Professor listed among ’10 Must Take Psychology Professors in New Orleans,’ Careers in Psychology
- Top 4 in the nation for college news program, Northshore News
- Fourth year in a row receiving the President's Higher Education Community Service
- Southeastern Channel named first in the nation for second consecutive year, College Broadcasters, Inc.
- 77th in the nation's top 100 Best College Food Ranking
- Named the top Louisiana public university for online degree offerings, Accredited Schools Online
- Named recipient of the Operational Excellence Champion Award, Louisiana Chapter of U.S. Green Building Council
- Top Louisiana Student Broadcaster two consecutive years, Louisiana Broadcasters Association
- Student won an Emmy for television "Writing" in 2016, National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Won 13 Emmys and 51 Emmy nominations for the Southeastern Channel, National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- SLU student, Dominique Brogle, awarded Student Broadcaster of the Year, Louisiana Association of Broadcasters
- SLU student, Miranda Fleig, awarded one of two $4000 scholarships from the Louisiana
Association of Broadcasters
- Student produced piece for the Southeastern Channel won an Emmy award for "Twin Spans
Rebuilt," a feature story by Brittany Robinson of Slidell, in the "Writing" category, National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Southeastern Finance students win first place in the 2016 National Community Bank
Case Study Competition
Degree Program Excellence
- Top 50 National Graduate Education Program, onlinemastersprograms.org
- Top 15 New Media and Animation Program, Animation Career Review
- Best Value Online Nursing Program, valuecolleges.com
- ‘Top Value’ Nursing Program, BestvalueonlineBSprograms
- Top Secondary Education Program in Louisiana, National Council for Teacher Quality
- “A” Rating in Education Program, National Council for Teacher Quality
- No. 5 in Nation as Most Affordable Urban Schools for Sports Management, Sports Management Degree Guide
- Ranked 19th in Top 30 most affordable accounting programs, Accounting Degree Review
- Top Secondary Education Program in Louisiana, National Council on Teacher Education
- Nightingale Award for Top Nursing Program in advanced practice in Louisiana, Louisiana Nurses Foundation
- Consortium master's degree in nursing named one of the best graduate programs in nursing
in the US, mastersdegreeonline.org
- 22nd most affordable RN to BSN programs in the nation for 2016, toprntobsn.com
- 19th in the nation in occupational safety, health, and environmental degree programs, collegevaluesonline.com
- Graduate Biological Sciences program ranked 3rd in the nation, SR Education Group
To take all of this one step further, when you have the opportunity to communicate about Southeastern, engage in storytelling. A personal story of how Southeastern, and who it uniquely is, made an impact on you or someone you know is the best advertising, brand message, communication we can get. Stories humanize the institution and bring all messages to life. You are part of the Southeastern family and your story matters.