A Message from the President

August 8, 2013 - Campus Budget Update

In my July 25 campus update on the budget, I announced that a part of our budget plan for fiscal year 2014 included a limited layoff plan and that additional details would be shared when available.

Subject to final approval by the Department of State Civil Service, I am now able to share additional information about personnel-related budget changes which will impact a total of 59 positions either through elimination, reduction to part-time status, or transfer to non-operating funding sources.

These actions include the elimination of fifteen occupied staff positions, nine classified and six unclassified. As a result of Civil Service seniority processes and several resulting transfers to existing vacancies, we expect six classified and five unclassified employees will be laid off.

Budget actions also resulted in the elimination of thirteen vacant positions, including six classified and seven unclassified. In addition, twenty-eight staff positions were moved to non-operating funding sources. These positions reflect a combination of vacant and filled, as well as classified and unclassified positions.

Collectively, these personnel actions represent savings to the operating fund of approximately $2.7 million in salaries and benefits.

As I indicated in my previous campus message, I regret the impact these actions have on individuals, both those whose jobs were eliminated, as well as others whose work may be adversely affected by staffing changes in their areas of responsibility.

John L. Crain

President

CONTACT USCAMPUS MAPDIRECTORIES |  GIVING  | MOODLELEONETWEBMAIL