Department of Visual Art + Design
Our department's mission is to provide a comprehensive curriculum that integrates artistic study within a liberal arts education. At the heart of the program are goals of creative, intellectual, and technical development achieved through the integration of practices of thinking and art making.
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.
- Comprehensive Foundations Program where students learn materials, processes, and the history of art.
- Curriculum focused on traditional and contemporary methods of art making.
- Concentrations in 11 Areas of Study.
- State of the art technology across the curriculum
- Internships with Industry.
- Visiting Artist lectures and workshops.
- Semi-private studio spaces for Seniors.
Southeastern's focus on student success, academic excellence, hands-on learning and
real world experience is a key element in all the department's degree programs. Every
member of our faculty values daily interaction with students, inspiring and challenging
their minds, and helping students achieve their career goals and aspirations.
The department has an active faculty of 30 artists, scholars and educators, who have achieved national and international distinction in their respective fields, and bring this same level of artistic dedication to their teaching. The department’s state-of-the-art facilities support learning at the highest levels. Together, these resources provide our students with a unique educational experience aimed at realizing each person's artistic potential.
With visual art exhibitions in the Contemporary Art Gallery and theater performances on our main stage, the Department of Visual Art + Design offers an exceptional array of exhibitions, plays and lectures, which enrich the cultural lives of our students and members of our community.
Interim Department Head
Our programs are enhanced with art history courses and additional studio electives, as well as a full compliment of liberal art courses.